Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Alexander Mcqueen, Spring 1999


When I was home a few weeks ago I was fortunate to go see the Mcqueen show at the MET with my mom.  It was so amazing and moving!  The ambiance was like I had never witnessed before in an art show.  One gets so use to seeing art surrounded by white walls and silence, this show was the complete opposite.  The music and overall look of the show really held my attention and helped me to stay in the moment, which if you know me isn't the easiest thing for me to do.  It was great to see everyday people admiring his work.  I'm sure the ambiance helped them stay present too and not rush, but slowly take in the show.  The show offered non-fashion people a chance (possibly the first chance) to experience fashion as an art form.  I wish I had paid the extra money for the headphones that offered additional information while you walk through.  There was so much to look at within the show, that at the end I was exhausted.  I wish I had the time to go back to NYC and see it again.    

The above look was exhibited in the show and was accompanied by a video of the dress being created.  The construction of the dress is amazing, I love the back and how its synched in with a belt causing the front to bellow out, which you can't see in this drawing so you might as well check out the video below to see what I mean.  If you are going to be in NY go see this show, seriously unforgettable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment